Dakota Prairie Refinery – Dickinson, ND
The recent oil boom in North Dakota has increased the need for several refineries in the area. Westcon Inc. contracted Consolidated to work on several buildings across the Dakota Prairie Refinery (DPR).
Building #1: Administration Building
The administration building is a one story Kirby Building Systems pre-engineered metal building of 80’x102’ (8,160 square feet)
Building #2: Maintenance Building / Warehouse
This building is a United Structures of America pre-engineered building of 246’x82’ (20,172 square feet).
- Fire House and Equipment Storage: This section of the building houses the firefighting equipment and firefighting vehicle. Mezzanine storage is also included.
- Pipe Fabrication Shop / Instrumentation Shop / Pump Shop: These three separate sections of the building will consist of the respective specialty shops with offices on a mezzanine level.
- Shipping/Receiving and Warehouse: This section of the building consists of a loading dock platform, a shipping/receiving office and warehouse space. Mezzanine storage is also included.
Building #3: Control Room / Lab / Locker Room Building
This building is a one-story United Structures of America pre-engineered metal building of 100’x105’ (10,500 square feet).
- Control Room: This portion of the building is the main operating hub of the entire refinery.
- Lab: This portion of the building houses laboratory operations.
- Locker Room: This area of the building is used by plant personnel for restrooms and clothes changing.
Building #4: West Electric Utility Building
This building is a United Structures of America pre-engineered building of 51’x90’ (4,641 square feet).
Building #5: East Electric Utility Building
This building is a United Structures of America pre-engineered building of 55’x106’ (6,283 square feet).
Building #6: Waste Water Treatment Building
This building is a United Structures of America pre-engineered building of 70’x100’ (7,000 square feet).
On the 318-acre Dakota Prairie Refinery campus, Consolidated Construction provided the design and construction of six major auxiliary buildings, including administration, laboratory, maintenance, fire fighting, electrical utilities and wastewater treatment. Despite starting design after the official refinery groundbreaking, Consolidated set sequencing in place to accommodate the project’s original schedule and cost-effectively designed reinforced pre-engineered buildings able to withstand considerable blast load and fire suppression requirements.
When the original steel erection contractor fell behind schedule due to labor shortages and weather, Consolidated mobilized their Midwest steel crews to work overtime and recover lost time. The especially harsh winter of 2014 hampered refinery construction, but construction of the auxiliary buildings was completed ahead of schedule. Consolidated was the only contractor on site to do so.
“C.C.C. took on the challenge of this fast pace and aggressive schedule project head on, and successfully completed the buildings within the time frame we needed them to allow a timely turnover to the owner. Throughout the development and design stages, C.C.C. led the way to provide the owners with multiple layouts and options to aid in cost effective solutions to meet the quality standards and budgets of the project. C.C.C. took the burden of acquiring all the building permits and made sure that all local and other codes were met or exceeded which helped us focus on other portions of the project.”
Eric Hochhalter, Project Manager
Scroll through our project photo album by clicking the right or left arrows below.
- Beefeaters Grille & Ale House – Appleton, WI
- Cambria Suites – Appleton, WI
- Central Storage & Warehouse Company – Madison, WI
- CompX International – Grayslake, IL
- Dakota Prairie Refinery – Dickinson, ND
- Gold Gym – Milwaukee, WI
- Hampton Inn – Green Bay, Wisconsin
- Holiday Inn – Bismarck, ND
- Life Church, Germantown, WI
- Marion Body Works – Marion, WI
- Radisson Hotel & Conference Center – Normal, IL
- Sundance Apartments – Bismarck, ND
- Suzy’s Cream Cheesecakes & Distinctive Desserts – Oak Creek, WI
- Weldall Manufacturing
- Werner Electric Supply – Appleton, WI
- Wisconsin Specialty Protein
- Worthington Event Center & Comfort Suites Hotel, Worthington, MN
Read the latest industry trends.