3/20 Consolidated Construction Achieves Platinum Award in the ABC STEP Safety Management System
Consolidated Construction Co. Inc., announced it has achieved the prestigious Platinum Level in the Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) Safety Training Evaluation Process (STEP) safety management system for 2019.
Founded in 1989 as a safety bench-marking and improvement tool, STEP has evolved into a world-class safety management system that dramatically improves safety performance. Participating ABC member firms measure their safety processes and policies on 25 key components, with the goal of implementing or enhancing safety programs that reduce job site incidents.
Consolidated Construction promotes safe work practices throughout its offices and job sites through the use of training, awareness campaigns, monitoring and reporting systems, and reward-based programs, including:
- Company-wide “Think-Teach-Talk Safety” program with logos and signage displayed prominently in all offices and on all job sites
- A proactive Safety Committee made up of a cross-section of employees from all disciplines of work, helping set safety policy and creating top-of-mind awareness of the importance of safety
- Site-specific safety plans on all construction projects
- Job site safety audits
- Weekly tool box talks on all job sites emphasizing a timely safety topic
- Monthly safety bulletins posted in all offices and on all job sites
- Comprehensive safety training opportunities for all employees, including those not on job sites
- A substance abuse program that includes prevention, screening, and reporting
- Every meeting—whether in the field or in the office—starts with safety, with a topic culled from more than 200 safety items available via the company’s intranet site
These initiatives helped the company log 154,000 work hours with zero lost work days as a result of injury or incident in 2019
“Safety is core value at Consolidated Construction. It’s ingrained in our corporate DNA,” said John Meulemans, Consolidated’s Safety Manager. “Providing a safe environment on our job sites is only part of the equation. True safety is achieved when the entire workforce is willing to follow the procedures and policies that have been put in place, because they know it’s the right thing to do. This award reflects a concerted effort on the part of Consolidated Construction to integrate safety not only into each and every project and process, but as a core element of our company values.”
According to ABC’s annual Safety Performance Report, applying STEP processes can reduce recordable incidents up to 85%, making the best performing companies 680% safer than the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics industry average.
“As an industry, it is our responsibility to ensure our workers go home in the same—or better—condition than when they arrived on the job site every day,” said Greg Sizemore, ABC vice president of health, safety, environment, and workforce development. “By participating in STEP, Consolidated Construction’s leadership has demonstrated a commitment to create conditions for all to do their work without incident. By implementing proactive safety measures, Consolidated Construction is committed to consistently raising the bar when it comes to safety performance.”