WISCONSIN SPECIALTY PROTEIN, Reedsburg, WI
Industry—Food and Dairy
Building Use—Organic Whey Protein Processing Plant
Size—19,498 square feet
Design-Builder—Consolidated Construction Co., Inc.
Architect—McMahon Architects & Engineers
Wisconsin Specialty Protein, located in the heart of southeastern Wisconsin’s artisan cheese country, is the first plant to process nutritional-grade organic cow, goat, and sheep whey from a liquid into dry concentrated whey protein. The resulting product is completely traceable to the farm and highly nutritious. To reflect that dedication to visionary thinking, the building was designed and built to be eco-friendly, meeting LEED® Silver certification standards.
• 40% reduction in natural gas usage
• 50% reduction in water usage during production operations
• Recycled fly ash used in all concrete and pre-cast materials
• Preservation of DNR wetlands on site/prairie restoration landscaping
• Passive solar design
• Minimized site paving
• Waste management
• Rain gardens
• Low-vapor emitting paints, adhesives, and carpet systems
Wisconsin Specialty Protein chose to “Consolidate it” with one call.
Consolidated Construction worked with Wisconsin Specialty Protein to determine the operation logistics, find financial resources and investors, and devise a leaseback scenario, which is beneficial to the operating plan. This assistance allowed the project to move forward without the financial delays that plagued many projects during that year’s tough economy.
Consolidated Construction, with McMahon Architects and Engineers, spent three years pre-developing this project. Importance was placed on embedding sustainability in a manufacturing environment without sacrificing cost-effectiveness and schedule constraints. The integration of building construction, sustainable energy implementation, and process equipment design, procurement, and installation required a sophisticated communication plan that proved seamless.
Not only was the building designed to meet sustainability standards, it was built on a fast-track schedule. Consolidated Construction’s site superintendent coordinated the project, with up to 17 subcontractors simultaneously working near each other in a well-orchestrated sequence. Some days, 38 tradespeople using 22 scissor lifts worked at the same time. The project finished without a single injury.
Wisconsin Specialty Protein has been recognized often for its innovation and sound,environmentally responsible business practices. Consolidated Construction was also awarded the 2009 Gold Award in Green Building Practices from the Associated Builders and Contractors of Wisconsin for the project.
Scroll through our project photo album by clicking the right or left arrows below.
- Beefeaters Grille & Ale House – Appleton, WI
- Cambria Suites – Appleton, WI
- Central Storage & Warehouse Company – Madison, WI
- CompX International – Grayslake, IL
- Dakota Prairie Refinery – Dickinson, ND
- Gold Gym – Milwaukee, WI
- Hampton Inn – Green Bay, Wisconsin
- Holiday Inn – Bismarck, ND
- Life Church, Germantown, WI
- Marion Body Works – Marion, WI
- Radisson Hotel & Conference Center – Normal, IL
- Sundance Apartments – Bismarck, ND
- Suzy’s Cream Cheesecakes & Distinctive Desserts – Oak Creek, WI
- Weldall Manufacturing
- Werner Electric Supply – Appleton, WI
- Wisconsin Specialty Protein
- Worthington Event Center & Comfort Suites Hotel, Worthington, MN
Read the latest industry trends.